Attendance Matters: Every Day Counts
A normal, healthy pupil is expected to achieve an average attendance of greater than 95%.
The Government classifies less than 90% attendance as persistent absence and requires the child's attendance to be closely monitored.
- Children should be settled in their classroom by 9am, ready for registration
- Children arriving after the register has closed will be marked late
- If a child is not in school by 9.30 without prior explanation, the absence will be marked as unauthorised and attempts will be made to contact the parents/carers
- School undertakes regular monitoring of absence and reports to parents regularly
- Please see our Attendance and Punctuality Policy for more details
Your role as a parent/carer
- Parents/carers should notify the school each day if a child is absent, either by phone or note.
- It is the parent/carer's legal obligation to get their child into school.
- If you’re struggling to get your child into school, please speak to their class teacher.
- We have produced a leaflet to help explain key policy points: Every Day Counts - Attendance Matters!
Leave of Absence in Term Time
The Government has established strict rules about when a child can be granted absence from school during term time.
Head teachers are not allowed to authorise any leave of absence, including holidays, except in exceptional circumstances. Two tests will be applied to any application. These are:
- Could this leave reasonably be taken at another time?
- Will the leave unduly affect the child’s education and progress?
If the answer to either of these questions is yes, then the application will be refused. Should a parent/carer decide to take their child out of school when leave has been refused, then the absence will be recorded as unauthorised and this may be reported to the Education Welfare Service.
If you think you need to take your child out of school for any reason, please complete an absence request form - using the link below - and return it to the school office as soon as possible. Requests will be considered by the class teacher and the head teacher.
Leave of Absence Application form
- If you would like a printed copy of this form, please ask your class teacher or at the school office.
The school can legally grant short-term leave for family reasons. It is for the Head teacher to determine the reasonableness.
Dental and medical appointments would constitute an authorised absence. However, the school would always ask that appointments are made before or after school whenever possible. Children must be signed out at the office when leaving the site for an appointment during the day and sign in when returning.